Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Garden of Stars

I really love this box for a number of reasons.

It was fun to work with such a bright summer color palate. Most of the other tooth fairies have featured darker more nighttime color schemes.

I got to work with a new level of realism. The beagle required a little research on my part since Snoopy was the only beagle that I could picture. Then after having already painted the dog, my son and I were reading Insect World and I was inspired by a photo of a monarch butterfly. With the orange and yellow I knew this fairy needed those wings. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out. They are my favorite wings so far. (I want to find a book on butterflies now just for fairy wings.) Her face and hair turned out really beautifully too.

Because we see her relaxing during the day the star motif is turned into a garden of flowers. I loved the whimsy of her sitting in a summer garden of stars.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Garden of Stars is lovely. Had I not known that you make tooth fairy boxes, I would have thought this was a memorial box for the ashes of a beloved pet. Your art work is beautiful.