Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Harvest Fairy

This fairy was a gift from mother to daughter. It started with the idea that its future owner liked retro colors. My original plan was to mix the harvest golds, oranges and avocado greens with a neoclassical design with the fairy in the center encircled by butterflies.

I'm sure in part because I was watching HBO's ROME at the time I was working on her she started to take on the form or a tiny Roman harvest goddess with her headdress of grain and draped gown embellished with drops of gold. Some stronger reds found there way into her color palette as well.

Her wings are patterned after the Field Crescent butterfly.





Fairy Day Question - What is the name of your favorite fairy queen (from stories, legends, google...wherever)? Tell me her name and something about her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that Marie did such a fantastic job on this Harvest Fairy I was truly impressed. She intuitively picked features and designs so well that my daughter said if the box was something she had seen in a shop she would have "had to have it".

Keep up the good work Marie!

Jen