Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Celestial Gargoyle

This gargoyle was a commission for a long time friend. We share a liking for darker images so this was very fun to do for her. I especially like the combination of the beastie with the more traditionally "pretty" celestial themes.

The gargoyle grasps a glowing moon of metallic gold. The gold also reflects from the gargoyle's stony flesh. Its eye is an amethyst rhinestone reflecting the iolite inspired shade of the box's sides which are a lilac base with a transparent cobalt glaze over top. The gargoyle itself is recessed into a crystal star field of glass.

Inside the top and bottom contain star charts of the constellations Perseus and Aquila. I've been waiting for a chance to use them as a more grown-up variation on the star papers I usually use.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am the lucky owner of this Gargoyle box and I LOVE it!

Marie did a fabulous job on it and I'm excited to have a piece of original artwork.