Monday, May 28, 2007

Tiny Orcas

This orca ring box was done for Whitney at Northwest Orca Soaps. (Be sure to check her out. Her soaps, emu oil and skincare can't be beat.) She wanted the orca in it's natural colors but otherwise let me have fun with it.

On top the whale is framed in metallic gold with a background of blue glass marbles. The sides are done as sky on the lid and ocean on the base with the sunset in the left end fading to a night sky on the right. A small pod of whales is visible with the one on the night time side looking up at an evening star made of a tiny rhinestone.

My original plan was for the box to have a solid colored sides with some sort of ocean themed decoupage. The night I started working on it I had a dream about doing the seascape on the side and couldn't wait to paint it.





1 comment:

catwrangler said...

This is my box, and I absolutely adore it. The artwork is lovely, and the whale on top is just plain fun!

I store my rings in this little box and the occasional bracelet. It is tiny but the perfect size for stashing small goods safely.