Monday, November 12, 2007

The Sailing Moon

This indigo haired mermaid has come up to the surface to get a better view of what appears to be the silvery crescent moon in her world, only to find a shimmering fairy sailboat with metallic silver sides and a mast made of a giant black narwhale horn.

Much of this box is pearlized when you see it in person. The sandy sides are layered with pearl and both the tiny boat and the mermaid's flesh and scales are accented in pearl. Her hair and the inside of the box are a deep indigo created with layers of midnight blue and royal purple. In her hair it is swirled with a metallic black.

My inspirations for this were my favorite fairy tale, The Little Mermaid (the old sad version), a print of John William Waterhouse's Miranda that hangs in my bedroom and the eventual recipient's love of sailing. She was originally intended to be a redhead like Miranda but at the last second she changed my mind.

Keep your eyes peeled for a very different companion piece to this one:)





1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really love this one! The shells on the box really make it, I think!